Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My poor Cooper.

He has grown and changed so much this past year!!! I can't believe tomorrow is his last day of kindergarten and that he will then be a big 1st grader. He has loved school, struggled thru subjects, but stayed a happy kid. 2 things never changed this year, his love for the bus and his love for "Harley" the cool kid in his class.
Both of those things changed today, he got off the bus, and before he was up the driveway I saw the huge tears rolling down his face. I did what any mom would do, I pulled him onto my lap, wrapped my arms around him, and we sat in the middle of the driveway while he cried into my shoulder.
He finally calmed down and told me that "Harley" was no longer his bestest friend. (Travis and I have struggled with this "friendship" all year, we don't really like what this kid says or does and what Cooper says or does after time with him) Secretly I was doing a dance of joy over this news, one less nussance! However, I was also crushed for Cooper, he really thinks this kid is his best friend! Sometime today "Harley" told Cooper he wasn't cool enough to be his friend. "Harley" had a long list of what was wrong with Cooper: He had a silly name (Harley's real name isn't conventional by any means), his hair wasn't right, he didn't wear the right clothes, his shoes looked dumb... The list went on and on. Poor Cooper remembered it all.
After that story he told me he was never riding the bus again. A kid from the neighborhood, who he sat with everyday told him that "Harley" told him not to sit with Cooper anymore. Cooper is now convinced his only friends are his cousins who live in Chicago. He would like to live there this summer and go to school with them next year. His reasoning, they tell him he's cool and they don't have to ever ride a bus.
I'm thinking the reason this bothers me so much is not becasue my son had his feelings hurt; that's part of life. It's almost expected. It bothers me becasue I know EXACTLY how he feels. All through school (grade school, junior high, high school, and college) I always felt like I was on the fringe. Not a complete outcast but not part of the inner circle either. I know what it's like to over hear parties being planned and not be included, to hear about weekend plans but never get the covetted invite, and to hear about fantastic summer excursions just to be left out.
I'm all of a sudden very thankful tomorrow is the last day of school! I can't wait to just enjoy our summer.

4 comments:

Keith and Kathryn said...

Hugs to you both! I know those feelings all too well, too. It's sad that the "cool" thing starts so soon. :( Thankfully, he has the whole summer to enjoy and recover before he starts first grade!

Erin said...

Hey, Coop!

I just wanted you to know that I think you're SUPER-cool! If this Harley kid thinks you're not, then that's just because he doesn't know what it means to be cool. You're kind and helpful and caring and smart - those are the things that make someone cool, not the kind of shoes they wear.

I love you, little man!
Erin

Van Lente Family said...

I cannot believe the "cool" thing starts in kindergarten... That is so not cool!! :-) I hope he perks up and I know he will find a new bestest friend. His Mom has always been a great friend, he has a wonderful example to follow!!

Ferris Family said...

You guys are great!! Thanks for the encouragement. All I can do is hope and pray that we've set a good example.
Everyone at church stroked his little ego last night, it was just what he needed. I even got a few hugs and words of encouragement and feel better this morning.