Friday, November 02, 2007

It could be worse...

Ever since Cooper started school he has become much more aware of what he wears, what he watches, and what he says. He's always worried about looking cool, sounding cool, and watching cool shows. His current obsession is a great zip-up hoodie. The kid wears it over EVERYTHING!!! He puts it on in the morning and tells me it's part of the "outfit". He comes by this honestly. I have 13 hoodie sweaters and sweatshirts in my posession. "What Not to Wear" would have a field day in my closet. I want my child to dress in the clothes he wants to wear, the struggle comes into play when he is more concerned about what his friends at school will say about the clothes. We had a HUGE fight yesterday over a shirt. I wanted him to wear it, he wanted nothing to do with it. In my defense, I still see him as my little boys. I want to dress him in cute clothes. He sees himself as a cool, too big for mom's help, Kindergartner. I put him in an undershirt and then had him put on a brand new turtleneck shirt. It had blue white and gray strips (was from the Children's Place, an approved store to shop at). Cooper threw a fit because the shirt wasn't cool. He got off the bus yesterday afternoon wearing nothing but the blue undershirt. He took the turtleneck off and had it stuffed in the bottom of his backpack. This is where I'm struggling. Do I make him wear it becasue I said so, or do I just let him start picking out his clothes everday and keep my mouth shut?
Gosh, being a parent is hard work!!! It could be worse, he could have been a girl...

4 comments:

Dan and Amanda said...

Ohhhh Sherry that's a hard one! I'm not sure I can be of much help. Maddy can be hard headed about everyting, but "knock on wood" she hasn't given me trouble with what she wears to school, YET!!!!
Amanda

Van Lente Family said...

I would have been livid that he came home in just his undershirt... What to do? I have no clue!!! But I do have girls and I think you were hinting that it would be worse with girls!! I guess I had better get a clue as to what I will do. Thanks for the heads up!! Would you let me know how you resolve it!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sher! Cute story...Just my opinion but I would choose your battles and let him pick out his own clothes if it makes him feel like he 'fits in'..bla bla bla. Im going to have it worse off bc I DO have a girl! AHHH Public schools should have UNIFORMS!! Ok..thats my rant! See you soon!
Jenna

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog through another one I read. I have two boys. My four year old for two years now will only wear shirts with footballs on them. I don't fight it. I buy anything I can find with a football. I even let him wear them to church. He owns one "nice outfit" but that is it. My philosophey is life is to short, he loves football, and the day will come when he has to dress a certain way and by then he will get it and want to do it for himself. I remember growing up and my mom always forcing me to dress a certain way and hating it! My husband and I think some battles are not worth fighting and this is on of them. You could also try and give him choices each night before bed so he can pick out what to wear the next day...that tactic helped us as well. Good luck!